As a bicyclist in Houston, the odds are stacked against you in traffic—and many may find you brave to be out there to begin with, especially if you are riding in traffic. As thousands of cars head into traffic each morning and continue traveling all day, bicyclists are extremely vulnerable, as are pedestrians and motorcyclists too. It is vital to understand all the traffic rules; in fact, technically your bicycle is a vehicle and you should treat it as such when you are driving. Here are five tips for avoiding accidents:
- Be very visible! This is important to teach your children too. Bike riding is not the time to wear all black, and if possible, reflective stickers should be attached to the bike, helmet, shoes and more. A brightly colored bike is a great idea too for being better seen.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order: This is crucial so that you do not find yourself down and out in traffic with a flat tire or a chain that has come loose. Just like a car with a flat tire or a maintenance issue that has caused it to break down, if your bike suddenly fails, you could find yourself in an immediate accident in traffic.
- Be extremely careful at intersections. This is the most common place for accidents to occur is at a four way stop, and because of this, as much interaction as possible could make the difference between having an accident or staying safe. Before you turn or let the car turn first, make eye contact with the driver of the car.
- Follow all traffic rules. This is the law, and while you may not have had to undergo a formal bicycling test or even had to get licensed, you are expected to know all the rules and follow them—especially if you choose to ride directly in the flow of traffic.
- Have proper lighting if you are going to be riding at night. Darkness can be a precursor to having an accident, so be sure to add as much lighting as you can, and any types of reflectors.
Make sure your kids are well-trained on all these points, and especially if they are riding to school. If you have been injured in an accident due to the negligence of others, this is not the time to go it alone! Please call the law offices of Andrew ‘Pike’ Piekalkiewicz, PLLC as soon as possible at (713) 748-7453 or visit AttorneySgtPike for a no obligation case review.